Saturday, May 2, 2009

1983 Volkswagen Rabbit w/Upgrade!

VW fans of the world! I have something for you!

This is a carving I made my friend for his 1983 Volkswagen Rabbit shifter head. The piece was carved into the end grain of old growth and dry Black walnut from the Appalachians. I chose to carve into the end grain to ensure the details and condition, since carving along the grain would have a greater chance at splintering and chipping. I soaked the carving in an antique oil finish to enhance the colour and to further protect it.
It was a lot of fun to carve such a small scale and detail.
Thank you my friend for the opportunity!

He tells me its the best piece of the car, I like to think so.

I am available to do small carvings if anyone is interested.
Currently I am working on a Teak carving for the VW front emblem.

Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment