Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Basement Bar Makeover! Pt.2

Continuing my previous post basement bar makeover with some results.

I wanted to tile the top for ease of cleaning and color, I ordered a select set of tiles.
Doubling up 3\4” plywood for the top and offsetting the edges to account for the angled Oak arm rest. I created a L-shape connecting to the wall into a air vent bump out.
Primarily white laminate particle board, It was accented with solid wood and veneered with Red Oak. I kept the Oak front. Painting it the color of the walls so the grain shows through giving it a rap around look.

On both side faces I glued on Oak plywood and edged it with Oak moldings. Depending on space I added rectangle frames for decoration. The top was tiled with 1/4” spacing for grouting. I took a tile to a local shop were I had a hole drilled for the sinks faucet. First time worked out with no breakage. The trickiest and most expensive part was with the angled miters on the molded arm rests. With small and basic tools I surly managed to make high tolerance cuts with minimal gap fillings.

With the left over cuts from the Oak plywood and trim I used it to box in the mini fridge. Doors are just 3/4” MDF with simple and clean hardware. I finished the Oak with two parts of stain. Liberal amount of Ebony stain applied then wiped off to set into grain, then lightly sanded then a mission style brown was wiped on and let sit. After all stain applied and dried I then sealed with two coats of semi-gloss varathane.

I am very proud of this project. It was one of my first independent jobs that dealt with array of challenges with both construction and keeping a client happy and excited every step of the way.

I would love to get in the business of building bars and fine indoor woodworks. I greatly prefer bench work in my own shop but there is a great joy to be found in on site carpentry, all of which are of great interest to me.

Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment